Thursday 16 January 2014

Happy Birthday Kate Moss

I wasn't sure whether to do this post or not. I didn't want to come across as another Kate Moss sycophant and in many ways I really want to dislike her. She's gorgeous, her mobile phone book is basically the front row of London Fashion Week, the fashion press think everything she wears oozes sartorial brilliance even if she's just thrown on a pair of jeans and black T-shirt and Johnny Depp is her ex. She reminds me of that uber popular girl in high school. The one who has older boyfriends and sneaks smokes at the back of the bike shed. She can be a bitch but everyone wants to be her friend and even the teachers love to linger in her presence.

I first came across Mossy when I was about 12 and I was reading The Guinness Book of Records. Her claim to fame was being the shortest supermodel at 5 ft 7 in. Being fairly short myself (I'm a teeny 5 ft 2 in) reading about Kate and her petite proportions gave me hope that I could be a model myself (clearly that didn't last long once the harsh reality of being the shortest person in my grade made me realise that Kate Moss or not, short models don't exist).

Whatever you think about Kate, love or hate her, admire or revile her she has been a stalwart in an industry with a retirement age of 25. And while I am beyond envious about her birthday treats (a week on Richard Branson's Necker Island, oodles of designer goodies from Hermes, Mulberry and Givenchy) she has earned her reputation as a British Icon. In tribute to 40 years of Moss Mania here are my fave Kate Moss looks across the years.

1. The siren with short hair


I desperately tried to make short hair work for me in my late teens, early 20s but alas I don't think I ever really pulled it off. Not like Kate Moss. Her hair versatility know no bounds and I love this grungy but cute elfin look from 2001.

2. The doting mother



Imagine having Kate Moss as your mum. Go on, just think about it for a minute. You'd have the coolest godparents, you'd be in dress up heaven and you'd know that if you stumbled in at 6am she wouldn't care cause she wouldn't be getting in til 9! Underneath her cool exterior I like to think there's a softness to Kate though and that amidst all the glitz and glam there's just a normal mum.

3. The wild child



I LOVE this look from Kate's other milestone birthday, her 30th. I'd kill to get my hair to curl like that and I love the boho glam of her dress. The theme for this particular party was 'The beautiful and the damned.' Kate had famously battled drug addiction in the years before her 30th and the theme was a fitting tribute not only to her life so far but the years that were to come. Beautiful and damned she may be but throughout it all she's proved there can only be one Kate Moss.

What's your favourite Kate Moss look?

Sarah x

Image credits: 1/2/3

2 comments:

  1. I love the 70s glam sort of look of the last pic!! Why doesn't my curly hair EVER look that good? Hmph. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! It's so cork-screwy, I love it! Remember seeing this pic ages ago and I was so in love with whole look. Can't get enough of the pixie cut either, so wish I could carry off that type of haircut! x

    ReplyDelete