Monday 13 January 2014

Browsing the Borough Markets

I always think there's something so exciting about food markets. The noisy salesmen, the frantic exchange of money across tables heaving with vegetables, the inevitable smell of strong cheese and the sheer joy of shopping outside, instead of crammed into a supermarket. Ever since I moved to London I've been waiting with anticipation to visit the iconic Borough Markets. I was introduced to them a couple of years ago on a visit to the big city and since then I've been desperate to return and explore their eclectic wares. The beauty of actually living in London means that I can peruse them at a more leisurely pace, discovering hidden gems and safe in the knowledge that I don't have to sacrifice one food sample over the other, I can always come back another day! 


This Saturday the bf and I took a stroll from our house along the river front, past Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament and the London Eye (as ya do) right along to London Bridge and the Borough Markets. Although we'd been advised to visit the markets before 10:30am (that's when they're at their most quiet but shh, don't tell anyone!) a sneaky lie in meant we turned up after midday. 

As anticipated the markets were packed but seeing as negotiating a crowd is standard practice in London we still managed to see all the markets have to offer. Wild game hung from one stall, while round the corner a seafood bar served freshly shucked oysters. I was sorely tempted by the mouthwatering line-up of antipastos but resisted and instead opted for a famed chorizo, pepper and rocket sandwich from Brindisa

The markets offered some great photo opportunities, crowds permitting, and I can't wait to return and serve you up another visual treat. 






Have you been to the Borough Markets? What's your top tip for a newcomer? 

Sarah x 

2 comments:

  1. All that gorgeous lavender in a box makes me want to jump inside it and roll around a little ;) Lucky girl! Hope you are well and enjoying everything London has to offer - miss you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I know! This was one of those quick sneaky pics taken when there was a seconds break in the crowd (it was so busy!) it turned out really well though if I do say so myself :-) We're slowly making our way around London's delights, savouring each weekend! x

    ReplyDelete